We all know that operations is not easy. It is as complex as human brain. Every individual dealing with day to day operations has different views on how they want to present and interpret data. While some are big fans of vROps Dashboards, others believe in the approach of notifications which can alarm them on predictive and actual failures in the software defined datacenter. I use the term SDDC, because I believe the architecture supports both on-premise and off-premise environments. In other words, while your SOPs could differ in operating Private & Public clouds, the operations framework moreover remains the same. Yes, you might be dealing with a complete different set of objects and metrics when you are running on Amazon, however the generic human behavior towards operating SDDC remains unchanged.
While, I should be sitting with the AWESOME developers of the product and the Product Managers to celebrate this release, I am here in India working with a customer along with my buddy Iwan "e1" Rahabok to operationalize their Software Defined Datacenter. I am not complaining though, since I get to learn the most when I get requirements from a customer and we get into a heated discussion around operations management. The outcomes can be quite satisfying at the end of the day!!
So without further a do lets see what this release has to offer:
vRealize Operations Manager 6.5 focuses on enhancing product scalability limits and troubleshooting capabilities.
- Additional monitoring capabilities
- Adds ability to increase memory and increase the scope of monitoring within the same environment.
- Enables you to monitor larger environments with the same footprint through platform optimization.
- XL size node enables you to monitor more objects and it processes more metrics.
- Automatic upgrade of Endpoint Operations Agents:
- The new Endpoint Operations Agent upgrade bundle allows you to automatically upgrade the agent through the vRealize Operations Manager user interface.
- Enhanced troubleshooting capabilities:
- Quickly correlates logs and metrics in context for any monitored object using Log Insight within vRealize Operations Manager.
- Creates custom metric groups that enables you to focus on most relevant metrics
- Improved collaboration:
- Simplifies export and import of custom groups and eases dashboard sharing between different vRealize Operations Manager installations.
- Understands Private Cloud costs and Public Cloud spends by accessing vRealize Business for Cloud from within vRealize Operations Manager.
- Removes scale limitations from Predictive DRS (pDRS).Predictive DRS enables vRealize Operations to provide long-term forecast metrics to augment the short-term placement criteria of the vSphere Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS).
- Default values for the following global settings have changed:
- For Deleted Objects, it has changed from 360 hours to 168 hours
- For Action History, it has changed from from 90 days to 30 days
- For Symptoms/Alerts, it has changed from 90 days to 45 days
- Allows you to disable coloring in scoreboard widget.
- The update process has been optimized. The update process might be up to 40% faster, depending on the size of the environment and the number of objects being monitored.
Here are some useful links to get you going: