Sunday, September 6, 2015

Guest Post : vRealize Operations Manager Metric Guide!




************Updated with vROps 6.6. Statkeys on 8th January 2018**************

I would like to thank my great friend Sunny Dua for giving me the opportunity to be his guest blogger.

I came across many requests both internally (field consultants / SE) and externally (Clients) for an extensive list of available metrics of vRealize Operations Manager in the form of sheet, so that one can easily refer to without accessing the product UI. The request was genuine, as vROps has rich library of metrics which can be leveraged for doing performance and capacity analysis and creating super-metrics, views, dashboards. I started looking through various available documents and internal sources, but couldn’t find any. Now in the same process, I found a wonderful stuff which is REST interface for vROps. Now coming from an Automation background, I really like to play with api’s and use them to automate as much as possible.


Now, let’s deep-dive into, how I have extracted these metrics.


vRealize Operations API documentation can be found at https://IPADDRESS OF vROPs/ suite-api/docs/rest/index.html. In this page, you can find all relevant information like, which API’s are available, sample request and response etc. The REST call that I made to retrieve these metric details is

That’s it. Is it the end of the Blog? Nope, because I know, you would be wondering, how did I get to this request, or how do I know which API call I need to fire, Right?

So, let me explain this. The first thing that we do, whenever we want to see any Metric, is we always select the Adapter Type first in GUI interface. So select the “getAdapterTypes”. The request now becomes.


















Now, fire the above request on web browser.  Here is what you will see.
























So, now we know that the adapter-kind key is VMWARE. So the call now becomes

Again, let’s see what we get after executing above request. 



























So, now we see all the Object Types available under VMWARE. Note down the resourceKinds key for the Object you want to retrieve metrics. Request now becomes

Execute the request and you see.






















That’s it. Here you get the complete http request for getting the statkeys:

Now, fire the above commands one by one replacing the resourceKinds with each object available under the VMWARE adapterkind. Once you have all the data, it’s quite easy to then dump them into XLS format.

Hope this consolidated sheet helps you and becomes your reference tool. I have also uploaded this on the following link and you can get a copy. However it is always good to know how I created this as you can do the same for any other AdapterKind.


- This is a Guest Post by Sourabh Shrivastava.


Updated with vROps 6.6. Statkeys on 8th January 2018

3 comments:

  1. Looks like the link to his file no longer exists, can we get a updated link would like to download this document. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the link to his file no longer exists, can we get a updated link would like to download this document. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete